Saturday, September 24, 2011
Anticipation Guide...It WORKED!
I chose the Jim Valvano ESPY award speech http://www.americanrehetoric.com/speeches/jimvalvanoespyaward.htm for my topic to complete this week's assignment. I was able to pull the video up and show it to my health/wellness classes. The students didn't know who Jim Valvano was (made me feel old) and didn't have a clue about who Arthur Ashe was (the person for whom the award is named.) At least some of them (mostly the boys) had heard of the ESPY's and knew they were awards given by ESPN. It surprised me that they listened with attention, and seemed moved by the speech. After showing the video to the classes, though, I decided that they needed some background information, so I made up a "Prior Knowledge Questions" page. It had 4 questions that I knew they would be able to quickly find the answers to during computer lab. I think by adding the Prior Knowledge Questions, it made the Anticipation Guide more effective, and watching the video a little more meaningful. If you haven't seen this speech, I encourage you to do so.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment